This is an archive of emails for the BKL 2 and 3 Day program for the 2015-2016 season and earlier.
- Masters Skiers (parents, that’s you!) Unite… January 14, 2015
See the below message about a new Wednesday evening gathering of adults on skinny skis with headlamps! It is a BLAST to ski at night with a light. Check it out…
Tonight, Wednesday January 14th
Headlamp ski at Garipay
I will ski around next to the parking lot and folks can join me, then we will head out.
Ford Sayre Masters club is organizing this and we encourage any and all to join.
David Loney and David Lindahl are the point people for this.
We will meet every Wednesday when the conditions allow.
I will be there early tonight, possibly even 4:30, if anyone wants to start early. I will be back at the parking area at 5:30 to meet you. David Lindahl will be arriving about 6:00, so if you come late plan on meeting at the lot at 6:00. We will ski until 7 and of course you can stay longer if you have a good battery.
See you this evening.
David Loney aka D Lo
PS I use a bike helmet with a lamp mounted on it. I got it from Omer and Bobs. If you go to Omer and Bobs to buy a lamp I recommend you get one with a battery on a long wire. You will want to keep your battery against your body to keep it warm. If a battery goes dead and is cold it will likely lose its ability to recharge.Continue reading →
- Practice Plan for Tuesday, 1-13-15 and Other Details January 12, 2015
Information for the 2 & 3 Day Program:
Location: Oak Hill Time: 3:30-4:30 Technique: Skate Wax Recommendation: basic glide wax – use what you have on Upcoming Race: No supported race this weekend.
- It’s snowing! YAY!
- It will be COLD tomorrow, so please come prepared. Gloves tend to be a curse on really cold days; try lobster gloves or mittens and plenty of layers. Toe warmers are great, too.
- Thanks to those of you who completed our survey. We had 30% participation, which we’re pretty psyched about! We’re glad to report that folks seem really happy about the sense of community engendered in our club, the coaching crew and the way we communicate and organize our club. We’re so glad those things are working for you. We’ll work on improving the connection between coaching faces and coaching names so kids know the names of their coaches. Now that we are on snow, groups and coaches will soon become more consistent which will help with this as well. In addition, don’t forget that our coaches’ faces, names and bios are on our site here. Ask your child to show you who s/he has been working with.
- The Bobgurn race on Saturday was a blast! We had 37 racers attend! The course was tricky with a crunchy, icy trail and not a lot of track, but the day was terrific. Congratulations to those who made this their first race ever! Huge thanks to the waxing crew who managed to get everyone’s skis klistered and ready to go. This was not an easy task and they did it with smiles on their faces. Thanks to the racers and families for their great sportsmanship regarding the detour many 7/8s took. Times like these teach kids to see the sport for what it is – a way to get out and have a good time challenging themselves in the woods. It’s always a learning experience and the Bogburn is the perfect site for learning good lessons.
- Ford Sayre car magnets are available for new families. I have them in my car. Please feel free to come ask me for one. They are free:)
Ashley and PeterContinue reading →
- Final Race Details for Bogburn January 9, 2015
Message from Head Coach, Jay Davis:
Hello race families.
Report from the course, from our very own coach Hilary, is that the Bogburn trails are in excellent condition, and that we will not be needing klister. Music to this, and many other, coach’s ears. 🙂
For tonight, check the RACE DOC for all needed info. As it says, please lightly sand (100 grit would be perfect, or higher) the kick zones to help wax adhere tomorrow. For glide wax on the tips and tails, CH5 or LF5, or CH4 if you don’t have 5.
And please do make sure to be at the race with enough time to get your skis to the waxing area at the time indicated on the google doc in your child’s age group area. That will mean arriving at the parking lot by 8:50 for younger kids, and right around 9:00 for older ones.
It will be a delightful day out there. Have the kids bundled warmly in layers so they can peel for the race and be warm before and after. If you have any questions about the race, feel free to call me at 603-795-2779 tonight.
For directions, google map 105 Skyline Drive, North Pomfret, VT
Also, if anyone would like to carpool, please contact Melissa Herron, mother of Miriam.Continue reading →
- Notes for Bogburn Racers January 9, 2015
Hello parents of kids racing at the Bogburn,
We are committed this year to preparing families as best we can for the flow of race days. Please look carefully at this Google Link, as it has the information that we think will help you plan, and help us best serve the race-day needs of the kids.
Couple of other things to know now:
Waxing the Night Before:
We will send out information about waxing Friday around 6:00PM, after their race director posts the snow conditions. (Conditions are very good now, but we would also love the couple of inches of powder that is predicted there today!) There is a chance we will need to put a binder or klister layer on the skis, which some of you may feel comfortable enough to do at home the night before, thereby decreasing the number we do the morning of the race. You will all want to glide wax the tips and tails, and that wax recommendation is already on the Race Document.
Timing of the Pre-Race Events:
We would like you to drop off your kids’ race skis at the wax area (obvious when you arrive, near the starting line) at the latest by the time listed on the Race Document. You can then take the kids in to pick up their bibs, stay warm for a few minutes, then head out to pick up their skis in time for the course preview.
Important: If the conditions report we get changes the schedule, we will include that information in the waxing email we send today around 6:00.
Let us know if you have any questions, and we very much look forward to our first race of the season!
Jay, on behalf of the coaching teamContinue reading →