Ford Sayre, a growing ski club that supports nearly 300 Nordic skiers in the Upper Valley of New Hampshire and Vermont, is seeking a full-time head coach to provide leadership and coaching continuity across the club’s cross-country skiing programs (Youth, Juniors, Masters). The head coach will have primary coaching responsibility for the club’s high school (U16/U18/U20) age group.
Ford Sayre Memorial Ski Council is a 501(c3) established in 1950 to promote the sport of skiing in the Upper Valley. The Nordic Club has historically been run by a dedicated group of part-time coaches and volunteers. This new full-time position, reporting to the Ford Sayre Nordic Committee, creates an opportunity for the right individual to engage and leverage this group while establishing a unified, consistent coaching approach across the club’s offerings. Ford Sayre Nordic primarily skis at Oak Hill in Hanover, NH, the ski venue of Dartmouth College. The club includes members from a number of area towns and schools.
The main areas of responsibility include:
Lead a team to oversee the delivery of quality coaching to each of Ford Sayre’s program offerings and to develop new and/or expanded offerings. Currently the program has three main components: Youth (Kindergarten through 8th grade; approximately 225 skiers and 55 volunteer coaches), JNT (Competitive High School Program; 14-20 skiers and 3-5 coaches), and Masters (50 registered skiers).
- Assume direct coaching responsibility of the JNT program
- Develop annual, period-based training plans for use by athletes and run training sessions throughout the year
- Demonstrate a strong knowledge of the physiological, technical, emotional and mental demands of Nordic skiing and the ability to incorporate this knowledge into individualized training planning, execution and assessment
- Run at least one summer and one fall training camp for club and out-of-town athletes
- Coordinate the plans and provisions for the team’s requirements for out-of-town competitions including transportation, accommodation, wax and equipment, and race entries
- Train and recruit coaches to ensure that the club has sufficient high-quality coaching resources for each of its programs
- Work closely with Ford Sayre volunteers and two Ford Sayre employees (administrative and IT staff) to administer day-to-day operations of the club
- Plan and implement several dryland and on-snow coaching clinics
- Coordinate coaching plans with lead coaches of Youth and Masters programs to ensure Ford Sayre is providing a consistent experience across the spectrum of its programs
- During the offseason, develop an annual plan for each of the programs in collaboration with lead coaches and supported by members of the Ford Sayre Nordic Committee. This plan will include the development of a draft budget
- Keep the club’s various constituencies informed with regular verbal and written communications. Constituencies include athletes, coaches, the Ford Sayre Nordic Committee, non-coach volunteers, parents, and the local ski community
- In all communications within and outside the club, represent the club in a positive and professional manner
Implementing Vision & Strategic Direction
The full-time coach will collaborate with the Ford Sayre Nordic Committee to set the strategic direction of the overall program and implement programming in accordance with Ford Sayre Nordic’s Guiding Principles.
Skills & Qualifications
- Demonstrated ability to create a positive, athlete-centered, team experience working with a dynamic group of part-time coaches, volunteers, Nordic Committee members, and community members
- Demonstrated leadership skills and the ability to lead and motivate athletes, coaches, and volunteers
- Exceptional planning, organizational, and communication skills
- USSS (or equivalent) coaching certification
- Extensive knowledge and passion for Nordic skiing and ski racing
- High level of ski waxing knowledge and proficiency
This is a full-time exempt, salaried position. Compensation range of $35,000-$45,000 annually based on experience with room for growth, with contribution toward healthcare benefits.
For more information please contact email@example.com.