Ford Sayre, a growing ski club that supports nearly 300 Nordic skiers of all ages in the Upper Valley of New Hampshire and Vermont, is seeking a Nordic Skiing assistant coach for the winter season.
Ford Sayre Memorial Ski Council is a 501(c3) established in 1950 to promote the sport of skiing in the Upper Valley. Ford Sayre Nordic primarily skis at Oak Hill in Hanover, NH, the ski venue of Dartmouth College. The club includes members from a number of area towns and schools.
The Assistant Coach will work closely with the Nordic Head Coach to support the high-school aged Junior Nordic Team (JNT) and the 7/8th grade racing program. Responsibilities include coaching weekday training sessions, reviewing training plans, communicating with athletes, and some administrative duties. There may also be opportunities to provide coaching support to BKL (K-8th grade) and adults (post-high school) skiers.
The Assistant Coach will, pending COVID guidelines, travel with the JNT team to 4 Eastern Cup race weekends and a number of local or regional non-Eastern Cup races throughout the season, providing logistical, equipment, and waxing support to the team. In addition, the Assistant Coach is expected to travel with the team for a 6-day training camp over Thanksgiving break and is invited to join the Ford Sayre community over Christmas break, typically in Mont Sainte Anne, Quebec. All lodging and travel costs associated with race or training trips will be covered by the organization, as will any required licenses or trainings.
While the evolving COVID-19 pandemic may impact travel requirements and racing possibilities, Ford Sayre is committed to providing a Fall/Winter training and racing program to the extent that is possible within local, state (NH and VT), and national guidelines.
Skills & Qualifications
- Ability to contribute to a positive, athlete-centered, team experience
- Extensive knowledge and passion for Nordic skiing and ski racing
- Basic ski waxing knowledge and proficiency
- Excellent planning, organizational, and communication skills (both written and verbal)
- Agrees to maintain US Ski and Snowboard license, including SafeSport Training certifications
- Valid driver’s license with a safe driving history
Other Desirable Qualifications
- Experience with WordPress or web-design
- First Aid or First Responder certifications
- Any background in grant-writing or fundraising
This is a full-time temporary position beginning no later than Nov. 1 (but encouraged to begin earlier) and ending April 1 with the potential to continue as a full-time, year-round position for the right candidate.
Please contact email@example.com to apply.
Addendum: Ford Sayre Guiding Principles
- Develop in participants a life-long passion for skiing
- Create a positive learning environment that emphasizes individual improvement
- Teach ski skills and training methods based on the USSA Long-Term Development model
- Ensure that participants experience the exhilaration of going fast on skis
- Introduce skiers to the fun and excitement of healthy competition
- Provide support to athletes who want to pursue ski racing at a local, regional, and national level
- Develop cooperative and supportive skiers
- Create opportunities for older skiers to mentor and serve as role models to younger skiers
- Ensure that all participants (skiers, coaches, parents) see themselves as members of the Ford Sayre community